Let’s be honest here. Sometimes our partners can irritate us to no end.
The way they load the dishwasher. Their unique routines. The way they chew, talk, don’t talk, comb their hair, the job they choose, or any other number of things.
Now they weren’t so irritating in the beginning. Heck, we might have even liked these unique differences about them. However, over time, we start finding them annoying and irritating. And our brains offer us thoughts like, “If he would change, I would be happier.” Or even, “The way they are – is holding me back in life.”
And since our happiness is now in their control … we try really hard to get them to change who they are and ‘fix’ themselves faster. Because “YO! My happiness is at stake!”
But all this does is make our partners feel like we’re parenting them. And parenting your partner is the fastest way to killing connection. It’s the quickest way to making marriage feel miserable and NOT fun.
And beyond that, it doesn’t help. Criticism and talking till we’re blue in the face doesn’t change them any more than their criticism and trying to fix us would cause us to change.
So what’s the answer? What do we do about this irritation that creeps into 99.99% of all relationships? We start with taking back control of our own emotions. We don’t give them the job of managing our feelings!
Listen to Episode 9 of Joyful Love to hear the things that irritated me about Cris and what I did about it!
If you want help implementing the tools I teach, I would be honored to be your life coach. Working with a coach helps you to create change quicker, easier, and with more fun along the way! Are you ready to create a more Joyful Love in your own Life and Marriage? Then click here to find out more.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode
- What is a manual and why you need to chuck it.
- How parenting your partner kills connection.
- Your partner is not in control of your happiness.
- Practice acceptance for true heart-to-heart connection
Mentioned On The Show:
- The Confident Marriage Workshop: Sign Up Here.
- Free class on The Manual
- Brook Castillo at The Life Coach School
- If you’d like to ask questions or tell me what you think, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go here to watch a free class and get on my newsletters. https://www.rachaelcunningham.com/
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcast, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave Joyful Love a review in Apple Podcasts (Click the “Listen In Apple Podcast” button to leave a review!)